Starting off

I started my plantings in 1991 a year after we bought our first home. I only had one child, Larissa 4, who was very much a part of the whole process of making our small corner lot a haven for her and us. So, I planned my space out and being the list maker that I am(incessantly, I may add) I drew my garden placement out and poured through all of my seed books, magazines and of course my already brimming library of gardening books.
Books, another out of control obsession.....
I new I wanted herbs and aromatics most of all. Being in a zone 5 I had to resign myself to never having hedges of rosemary, towering bays, a grove of olive trees or masses of scented geraniums. I really enjoyed the look of an English 4-square garden and the French style en masse vegetable gardens. The lack of space seemed a perfect way to use these styles to pack as many plants in one small plot and so I did. Along with these styles we put in a cottage garden border, everlasting border, cut flower garden and in my side garden were a combination of everything for impact of smell and site. A hidden medieval/poison garden around my drive way, to be out of reach for small fingers.
My herbs were divided into 5 smaller beds with in my English 4-square layout. These small spaces supplied space then for a culinary, tea, Victorian tussie-mussie, medicinal and edible flower gardens.
All these gardens, I above mentioned, were bordered with old weathered brick except the heirloom vegetable garden, which was not bordered and side garden with aged ties.

Comments

Popular Posts